Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Rooster, Wallace, and Sally

The rooster over at Patrick and Alice’s is now a real rooster. What I mean is that he isn’t a little guy anymore and that he knows his job is to protect the hens.

When the hawk swooped down a couple of months ago and carried away one of the hens I think that may have been the rooster’s wake-up call – he was pretty distressed over the affair, as I’m certain the departing hen was as well.

When the rooster was a little guy and Sally and Wallace, the Rat-terrier, would come over to Patrick and Alice’s, Wallace chased the rooster. Now that the rooster is a real rooster he chases Wallace down the driveway; he chases Sally too because he associates Sally with Wallace. I guess that’s a lesson in being known by the company we keep.

Last night Vickie and I had to shoo the rooster and hens into the coop for the night since the Revere family is out of town. Because the rooster wasn’t keen on calling it a day Vickie used a broom to encourage him into the coop. I’m concerned he’ll associate me with Vickie and come after me. I imagine Vickie will bring a shovel for protection today, that’s what she used as a kid on her grandparent’s farm for rooster protection. I think I’ll just wear a helmet and body armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment