Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Elusive Deer

We have an albino deer in the neighborhood. Yep, an albino. I'm not sure how other deer view an albino. A couple of years ago I met a man from West Africa who was albino, he was finishing his Ph.D. work here in the States. I imagine he enjoyed sleeping over here in peace; you see he shared that back home some of the folks who are animistic think the thing to do with an albino neighbor is to sacrifice him - that would keep you awake at night. 

I guess we've all been an albino at one time or another; meaning that we've been in situations where we stood out from those around us. Recently I was thinking about Thelma and Kevin, two classmates in the first and second grade. They both wore thick-rimmed black glasses and were the last to be picked for a dodge ball team. They were reserved, either because they were naturally that way or because the rest of us were too busy acting like a bunch of morons and ignoring them. We didn't ignore them on purpose; I don't recall ever hearing an unkind word spoken about either Kevin or Thelma; but nor did we demonstrate any relational courtesy. 
I like to think that Thelma became president of a bank and that Kevin was a high official in the C.I.A. protecting us all. They're both retired now have have homes in exotic places and lots of smart grandchildren who are chosen first for dodge ball games.

Then I've seen albinos who have said "no" to unethical proposals, or "no" to money so they could spend more time with family, or "no" to glitz and glitter so that they could invest themselves in Christ and in others. Albinos come in lots of shapes and sizes and colors...yes colors.

A few weeks ago the albino deer was in the pasture across from the front of our home and I tried to get some photos; it was too dark. Even with my most sensitive camera setting it was too dark. Yesterday evening Lina and Lily informed me that the albino was back; so even though the light was not good I took the camera and quietly approached the pasture. As you'll see, the Mom immediately was aware of my presence, but she discerned that I was no threat to her and her offspring and so mother and child continued to graze. 

Because of the fading light I used a number of settings to capture the best images I could:






2 comments:

  1. WOW!! Great photos of our ellusive little dear. Thank you, you Albino, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you were able to get pictures. The night we saw the deer, twice, we had no camera. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete