Sunday, May 22, 2011

Our Loss of Patrick



Saturday, May 21, 2011

Tragedy has come to the Zuck Homestead. Wednesday night our beloved Patrick died at work; a probable heart attack. The earth is without form and void and numbness covers the face of the deep.

I know that Patrick is in Christ; I know the truth of the resurrection; I know that Patrick is in Christ’s glorious Presence – but I also know his dear Alice and the twins are without his physical presence. I expect to see Patrick and Alice on one of their walks through the woods or to see them coming down the lane or to look up and see Patrick at the door of our home. I hear Nature Boy bark and I sense Patrick. I see the bull and cows and there is Patrick. When it is 5:15 AM I hear Patrick’s truck on the gravel lane returning from the night shift at the water treatment plant.

As Vickie and I worked in the vegetable garden today I thought, “Patrick won’t be by to see what we’ve done and comment on it.” Numbness covers the land, it blankets my mind and shrouds my heart and lies in bed with me at night.

1 comment: