Friday, July 22, 2011

Update on Squirrels This Week

Most of the squirrels still haven't found the new feeder. How can this be? But then, how can those who profess Christ often live their lives with Bibles throughout the house and seldom feed from those books? What do we substitute for God's Word? Let me count the things, let me count the activities, let me count the seductions.

A friend asked me about a commentary on Romans for one of her friends whose group was just beginning a study in that NT book. The best commentary on Romans is Romans. Get to know the Book as you would your favorite meal, your favorite place, your sweetest piece of music, or your dearest friend - then crack a commentary to see how others view that relationship - but let's not substitute anything for knowing the Book personally. Of course this "knowing" includes knowing as a member of Christ's Body, so there is most certainly cross-pollination - but the Book should be no more primarily mediated than my relationship with Christ should be primarily mediated.

My substitute count is getting up there...what about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment