Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reading the Bible

Building on yesterday's post:

There are various Bible-reading plans available, just check the "web" and you'll find some; one size does not fit all. The important thing is to start, to turn the ignition and actually drive the car. As you learn to read the Bible you can figure out what schedule of Bible reading appeals to you, you may very well devise your own plan over time - but the important thing is to actually do it, to really read and know the Bible - not just portions of it, not just pieces of it, not just a verse here or there - without the entire scope of Biblical context you'll never really know the various sections of the Bible - because all of the sections, all of the books, are part of a great story, woven together they are God's revelation of Himself to mankind.

In my own Bible reading I want to always be reading a Gospel, at least one chapter per day. Whatever else I'm reading I want to include a Gospel in my reading. My thinking is that it is the four Gospels that portray our Lord Jesus, that contain most of His recorded words (there are sections of the letters, Acts, and Revelation in which His words are also recorded). While all of the Bible reveals Jesus Christ (and we ought to always be looking for Christ in what we are reading) the Gospels reveal Him in particular and focused ways, and each Gospel has a particular presentation of Jesus. After all, Jesus Christ is Christianity and Christianity is Jesus Christ...at least Biblical Christianity is...I want to know Him and love Him more today than I did yesterday. The Gospels seem like a good place to center my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment