Friday, May 6, 2016

The Important


I will encounter important things today, but the important things will not necessarily be what I think they are. There may be small things that are important but which I pass by – the wren, the rose, the persistent dandelion, the blue bird, the puppy, the cat – these are important because they speak of beauty and song and innocence in a world gone mad.

Should I pass by an old house in Petersburg today that displays fine exterior woodwork or metal work I should note that once upon a time men and women were creators of beauty and artistry and worked while they danced with the aesthetic – perhaps “once upon a time” will give me hope for a future time, at the least perhaps it will shed a ray of sunshine on my day.

Not all of the things I see today will be important, much of what I see will be distraction – advertising, fashion, the drive for money, entertainment, fearmongering.

There are important things that my eyes cannot see but which I must see anyway; I must see beyond what can be seen, see beyond the actions into the powers and ideals behind the actions.

All of the people I see today will be important, for there are no unimportant people. Am I prepared to see them, to meet them, to encounter them, to touch their lives with prayer, with word, with deed?


Jesus sends me into the world today to meet important people, to see Him in things that may seem unimportant but which are reminders of Him, and to be faithful to Him and others on a cosmic stage on which the principal players are unseen. I wonder how the day will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment