Wednesday, August 10, 2016

An excerpt from the prayer book - The Valley of Vision (page 243)

"Let all thy fatherly dealings make me a partaker of thy holiness.

Grant that in every fall I may sink lower on my knees,
and that when I rise it may be to loftier heights of devotion.

May my every cross be sanctified,
every loss be gain,
every denial a spiritual advantage,
every dark day a light of the Holy Spirit,
every night a trial of song."

I am reminded when I pray these words that life is about knowing the holy Trinity; from our first waking moments, through the day, and into the night, we are called to know and love the Lord.

This in turn reminds me of another prayer found in the Valley of Vision (page 216) that contains these words:

"Compassionate Lord, thy mercies have brought me to the dawn of another day, vain will be its gift unless I grow in grace, increase in [the] knowledge [of you], ripen for spiritual harvest.

Let me this day know thee as thou art..."

What more can we desire than to live the life we were created to live? This is the life of God in us, as Paul writes, "Christ in you the hope of glory." How sad that so many professing Christians view life not as a fellowship with God, but rather as a constant striving to be accepted by God - how sad because our Lord Jesus has reconciled us to our heavenly Father and He now wants us to know our Father as He knows our Father...Jesus is the one who taught us to pray "our Father"...and yet we refuse to accept the glorious news of the Gospel that we have been justified and sanctified and glorified in Jesus Christ.

We live in mindsets that are not portrayed in the Bible - we think we are sinners when it is clear we are saints - if we don't know who we are it is doubtful that we will ever live as who we are in Christ - we seem determined to say "Yes but" to every promise of God, to every reality of Christ - even the realities of justification, sanctification, and glorification. 

We make excuses, God makes promises. 

We look at ourselves, God calls us to behold Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment