Thursday, February 2, 2017

“Good For All People”


This morning I was struck by the following:

“See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people,” (1 Thessalonians 5:15).

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we sought good for others? If we sought good for “all people”? Sadly we are selective in who we seek good for – we have a screening process and if you don’t make the cut well then it’s your own fault. Who doesn’t make the cut?

Those who don’t think like we do. Who don’t behave like we do. Who don’t vote like we do. Who don’t look like we do. Who don’t speak like we do. Who don’t believe like we do. Who don’t fly the same flag as we do. How long is the list?

Thankfully a holy God died for me, an unholy man – someone who did not make the cut, who could not make the cut. Now what? Now what am I to do? Whom shall I love?

God loved all on the Cross, shall I do any less? God sought the good of all on the Cross, shall I do any less?

Better to be rejected by others while loving them than to reject them, to push them away.

Better to “always seek after that which is good…for all people” than to usurp the place of God as judge.

Jesus says, “As the Father has sent me, I also send you,” (John 20:21).

Will I join Jesus in seeking good for all people? Will I do this today?


Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment