Monday, April 24, 2017

A Harry Hanger Weekend


This was a Harry Hanger weekend. On Saturday afternoon we were at a graveside service in Fishersville, VA, and on Sunday afternoon at a memorial service at Third Church in Richmond, VA. My friend left a testimony and a legacy.

At the memorial service a childhood friend, whose family was instrumental in leading Harry into a relationship with Jesus, spoke. She was loving and moving. Harry’s son Hunter also spoke – his reflections on his Dad illustrated the lasting influence Harry and Elaine had on their children and grandchildren. Harry passed up more than one promotion so that he would have time with his family – that is just one element of Harry’s testimony and legacy.

It was the desire of Harry and Elaine that people hear the Gospel at both services, Buddy Childress presented Jesus at the memorial service and I did so at the graveside service. Even though Buddy and I did not talk to each other prior to the services, we both had the same tack, the only way to explain Harry’s life, and Harry and Elaine’s marriage, is Jesus Christ – they were seeing and responding to something that is invisible.

God was gracious to us in Fishersville with the weather in two ways, the first was that there was visibility going both ways over Afton Mountain – the early morning weather report indicated that there would be close to zero visibility. The second was that the rain was light – considering the storms and rain hitting the Mid-Atlantic we were most grateful for the light rain and minimal wind. It was cold, it was muddy, and the service was on a hillside – but our focus was on Harry, his family, and the Gospel and Vickie and I were grateful to be there.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned Ambrose in previous posts, if I have please forgive me. Ambrose was, of course, at both services with his wife Mary.

Twenty years ago, in Beverly, MA, I was in a morning men’s group. One of the men in the group was Ambrose. Ambrose was there (he told me Saturday in Fishersville) because Harry had been praying that he’d find a men’s group.


Shortly after meeting Harry a few years ago we were talking about Harry’s family; when he mentioned that his sister Mary lived in MA and that her husband’s name was Ambrose I said that I knew an Ambrose in MA. It was the same Ambrose – I had been in a small group with Harry’s brother-in-law years before I met Harry and Elaine. An accident? I don’t think so. 

1 comment:

  1. Great! Thank you for giving us insight into Harry, and Ambrose! Of course, there are no " coincidences."

    ReplyDelete