Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ginger

Yesterday afternoon I saw that I had a voicemail on my personal cell phone; not recognizing the number I expected it to be a robo call or an actual person trying to sell me something that I don’t actually need.

I listened to the voice and the message, and as I listened I kept saying, “No, no. That can’t be, I can’t believe it.” Vickie was looking at me and saying, “What?”

It was Scotty telling me that his mother, and our friend, Ginger had died. I couldn’t believe it. She was misdiagnosed a couple of years ago, and then about a year ago the correct diagnosis came back - cancer...inoperable.

Learn from this...we hadn’t talked to Ginger for about four years. If you have a friend, a real friend, to whom you have not spoken for a long time - stop reading this and call - forget the email, forget the Facebook - actually call and talk and tell the friend how much he or she means to you. Don’t be where I am...be someplace better.

I had a deep impression to call Ginger about two weeks ago, she died on August 16; I can’t recall whether the impression was before or after her death. I didn’t call - learn from me.

That last time we saw Ginger was when we stopped at her home in Columbia, MD on our way back to Richmond from Baltimore around four years ago. She and her husband Walter were fostering more kids than I could count - I think as many as nine were either with them or had been with them. She told them all that Uncle Bob and Aunt Vickie were coming to visit. I think the kids were a bit surprised when they saw us because Uncle Bob and Aunt Vickie had white skin and Ginger and Walter had black skin - as did all the foster children. It was a bit humorous and I think Ginger had a good time with it.

I could write that Ginger taught me a lot about what it is to be African - American and in the minority, and that would be true. I could also write that Ginger taught me a lot about what is important in life...and that would be even more true. If anyone had any doubts about Ginger’s priorities all he or she would need to do would be to see her with her kids, with her husband, and with Scotty.

I have an idea that Ginger knew more about life and what matters than I ever will.

Learn from me...call a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment