Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Harmony Hill - Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

This blog is titled Kaleidoscope for a reason, you never know what a twist of the kaleidoscope is going to produce. This is the first recipe I've posted in the few years I've been writing the blog. This morning Vickie told me that she'd be using about all of my crunchy peanut butter. I wasn't too thrilled at the idea at first because, after all, my peanut butter is my peanut butter. I don't know how it is in your house, but we have smooth and crunchy because Vickie likes smooth and I like crunchy. If there is only smooth I'll eat it, but if there is only crunchy she won't eat it - so usually my peanut butter is pretty safe, but not today.

Today is rainy and cold, hardly what we usually have in Richmond on September 2 (when I'm writing this). It's a good day for a hot mug of tea, and I just found out it is a good day for this recipe. Please be forewarned, there is a problem with the recipe - it is hard to only eat one or two of these cookies at a time, just ask my stomach.

Nota bene: don't miss the coconut in the recipe.

The recipe comes from Harmony Hill B & B in Arrington, VA (that's right, Arrington and not Arlington): http://www.harmony-hill.com/

and is found a Bed & Breakfast cookbook put together by Melissa Craven and published by 3D Press: https://www.bigearthpublishing.com/3d-press/

Makes 48 cookies

Here's a note from the Innkeeper: "These delicious cookies freeze well. For variety, try using half white chocolate chips."

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder and salt. 

In a large bowl, with a mixer at medium speed, beat together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in oat mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and coconut by hand.

Drop dough by heaping tablespoonful, spaced about 1 inch apart, onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment