Friday, October 6, 2017

Reflections on a Career – 6

I started the post below on October 1, but then there was Vegas so I changed my Monday post.

Today is October 1, though this will post on October 2. On October 31, the Lord willing, I will “retire.” Not retire from life, hardly that for I look forward to many people and to more time with Vickie and to more special time with the Trinity, but retire from my primary business career. As Reepicheep would say, “Let’s take the adventure that Aslan gives us!”

The words of the leaders of Israel to their people come to mind, “…you have not passed this way before” (Joshua 3:4). Just as the Israelites followed the Ark of the Covenant I hope that I will follow the Presence of God and His Word in this new season of life. Traveling to a new land (even if you’ve seen images of it and read accounts of it) has its particular experiences – nothing is quite like actually being there, walking there, taking in its sights and smells and sounds. While I, of course, know “retired” folks I have not lived in land. But first I must journey to the Jordan and that means traveling to the edge of the land I am in, and it means finishing well and being a blessing to those around me.

Once I cross the Jordan I will look back at those still in the work-land and we will visit no doubt and talk and perhaps share memories, but it will be different. Not that work will cease for me, I look forward to a focused time of creativity, I am excited about that.

I may have mentioned this somewhere in a previous post, but one of the changes in me that has occurred in this season of life is that I have come not to just care about, but to love the people who work for me. Does this mean that in times past I did not love others? I don’t mean to say that, but I do mean to say that. Perhaps it is the “quality” or “nature” of the love that is different. Perhaps it has just taken this long for the wine to mature in the cask.

While my love has deepened, so I think has my firmness in requiring accountability and my readiness to quickly hold the people I love (and others) accountable. I am less likely to take the long way around to get to the point on accountability. I have always been able to be direct, but I am direct more often. I think part of that is that for the past few years I’ve known that eventually October 31 would come (though I haven’t known the date) and that I’ve needed to do my best not to waste time in developing my folks.

One of my role models in all of this has been my friend Debby Eure. Debby will never know how much she has affected the inner workings of my heart when it comes to caring for people and loving them. Vickie and I are deeply thankful for our friendship with her. She is a model of constancy; constancy is a rare gem.

If you will permit me to move in another direction…

I have known for a while that one reason I have been able to serve my clients well is that I don’t care about how much money they have or what material things they have or about their social standing or other positions of authority – I am not impressed by it. I truly believe that if we are going to “glory” that we ought to “glory/boast in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 1:31; Jeremiah 9:23). So while I have other “issues” in my life and character development, generally speaking envy is not one of them. 

My view of client relationships is pretty simple, I am serving Christ first in my position and my work is to be a form of worship (Colossians 4:22 – 25) and that I am a steward of whatever position of trust I hold – a steward first to God and then to others; I am called to be a blessing to those around me. This means, of course, that I am called to tell the truth – I think there are clients who are not used to that; some can work with it and others can’t; the same is true for people I have worked for.

Interestingly some of the toughest people I’ve worked for and some of my toughest clients have been able to work with the truth – telling the truth to them could be like a steel-cage wrestling match but when we were finished we seemed to come out fine. In reflection they tended to be people who had a fairly good sense of self-definition.

On the other hand there have been those who were offended. The representative of one financial institution got to the place where he didn’t want to communicate with me at all – I wasn’t telling him what he wanted to tell his superiors. Then there was the time I had a chat with the chairman of the board of a firm I worked for and suggested to him that he treat his daughter (who worked in my department) with more consideration, that a kind word now and again would go a long way…sadly he responded by telling me “Why I have never even thrown a ball with any of my children and I’m not going to start now.” Well, since you can only do what you can do you should do what you can do - I did what I could.

I am impressed by people who give to other people, who give themselves. I am also impressed by artists – not all of them, but many of them. Bach or Mozart – I am impressed. When I behold the painting of my friend David Zuck I am impressed. They are bringing beauty into the world, or capturing the beauty that is already here and passing it on; whether on canvass or in the music of the spheres. I am impressed when one of my managers thinks about her staff and helps develop them. I am impressed when my team works through problems together and comes out stronger and with a clearer sense of who they are.

This life doesn’t last forever. Now some people may read that and think that they have to grab everything they can now. But others of us know that we have eternity in Jesus Christ ahead of us and that the beauties that will unfold will amaze us and stagger us and be filled with indescribable joy and peace and friendship and love. I feel badly for folks who seek identity and security and recognition in possessions (I do not mean to indicate that I am not tempted with this, nor have never sought security in such things) thinking that “He who dies with the most toys wins.” What a sad and empty and fleeting way to live.

Things are just things…they really are.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19 – 21).


Where is our treasure today? My treasure? Your treasure?



Reepicheep, from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis


Reepaslanscountry

No comments:

Post a Comment