Tuesday, June 8, 2010

One Company – Four Men: Part VII

One day Charles sent a memo to the division regarding personal phone calls during the day. It was a dumb memo. After all, most of the people it was written to worked far more than 40 hours per week, didn’t pay much attention to “the clock”, and were hardly slackers. Charles’s personality could be reactionary at times, and this was one of those times. No doubt someone had caught his attention by being on a personal call which he thought took too long and hence the memo. Well, I can be a bit reactionary myself.

When I got the memo I went to Charles’s office but he wasn’t in. I waited for him to return before I left that day, knowing that I’d be in the field the following day and preferring to have a direct chat with him. When it became apparent that Charles wouldn’t be back that day I took the memo and wrote on it, “No doubt this was designed to improve morale,” and put it on his desk.

The next morning Sammy called me, “Where are you?” he asked.

“I’m down in Waldorf,” I replied.

“Well, Charles is looking for you. What did you do? He’s as mad as hell.”

So I told Sammy about my little note and said I’d see Charles when I got back to the office. Sammy couldn’t say too much because he wasn’t one to let things pass either.

Later that day Charles and I had our little chat, he cooled down, and life went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment