Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Carol

I love A Christmas Carol. I love the redemption and reconciliation in it. I think I could watch the endings of every production and never tire.

A particular favorite of mine is An American Christmas Carol, starring…you’ll never guess…Henry Winkler, a.k.a The Fonz. It is available on DVD and I recommend it; and again, I love the redemption and reconciliation element and Winkler’s performance brings me joy and a bit of sweet understated humor as the Scrooge character awakens to what is important in life.

In terms of recent traditional versions, the one in which Patrick Stewart plays Scrooge is at the top of my list.

Scrooge learns among other things that, “he who dies with the most toys doesn’t actually win”. I love the hope that Scrooge gives to the Cratchit family and his reconciliation with his nephew and the nephew’s wife. Who can we give hope to today? Are there reconciliations that need to occur in our lives?

Of course the themes of redemption and reconciliation find their true fulfillment in Christ; A Christmas Carol can be a bridge to share the Gospel.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen this animation? Most true to Dickens, I think. Alice said the Jim Carrey one was also good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hA5T1G7rxg

    ReplyDelete