Saturday, December 11, 2010

Trees – The Shoe Tree

This is the Shoe Tree, the first of seven trees that I’ll post. If you’re a guy you probably won’t find your favorite shoe on this tree. I imagine Imelda Marcos would have liked this tree. I’ve never been into shoes. Oh I’ll admit that when my brother Bill and I got our first pair of Keds tennis shoes/sneakers that we went out back and ran to see if we’d go faster, needless to say we didn’t break the sound barrier.

I’m not sure the last time I actually purchased a pair of shoes; the fact is that Vickie buys them and I wear them. Why I remember than once she brought home two left shoes, seems the salesperson got them confused in the box or something like that. Anyway, I didn’t know any better so I wore them a few times trying to make the best of things. Then one day I was walking down Grace Street in Richmond and saw a guy who was walking kind of funny; as I pondered his unusual walk it dawned on me that we had something in common, I was walking the same way.

Well the closer we got to each other the more we stared at each other’s feet until we stopped toe to toe, all eyes on the shoes. “Hey Bud,” he said, “I think we’ve got a mutual problem. Seems our wives both shop at Big Al’s Shoes for Men and seems they both dealt with the same salesman.”

“I’d say you’re right,” I replied. “I guess the good news is that they bought us the same style of shoe.”

“Yep, no doubt about it. You a size ten?”

“Sure am,” I said in relief.

So he gave me a right shoe and I gave him a left shoe and we went on our ways; though it did take me a few days to recover my normal gait.

No comments:

Post a Comment