Thursday, May 19, 2016

Five Years – Patrick


Driving to work this morning I was thinking of Patrick Revere – today is the fifth anniversary of his death, or I could write the fifth anniversary of his entrance into heaven. Death is real for sure, but it is not lastingly real – I am reminded that Jesus Christ came to abolish death (2 Timothy) and to bring life and immortality to light through the Gospel.

Had Patrick not already been adopted I think Vickie and I would have asked him if we could adopt him. He was so good to us. He certainly loved Alice and their boys, Seth and Silas; and he certainly loved Davey and Sally. He loved others, and of course he loved animals – even snakes. I remember the time I called him because a black snake became entangled in some landscaping mesh; he came down to our house on the Zuck Homestead and carefully extricated the snake and set it free. Patrick said, “It was as if the snake knew I was trying to help it.”

The Washington Nationals have a ballplayer named Jason Werth; Vickie thinks he should cut his hair but I like his long hair the way it is because Mr. Werth reminds me of Patrick – though I will say that Patrick’s long hair was nicely kept, unlike Mr. Werth’s. Patrick loved baseball, so for now when I see Jason Werth playing I think of Patrick.

Speaking of sports, I enjoyed introducing Patrick to cricket, we watched some matches together; we shared a good laugh when in a game between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka a player dove for a ball and his pants came down beneath his underwear – that’s not something you see in baseball.

I loved reading the Bible with Patrick and talking about Jesus, I loved just being with Patrick, as did Vickie. He’d come visit just to talk, just to visit, just to be with us. Patrick was one of the most innocent and pristine people I’ve ever known, and one of the most the most thankful.

Vickie and I still feel his loss acutely and when I pray for Alice and the boys I still find myself beginning to pray for Patrick as well…after all…for years my prayer went “For Alice and Patrick and Seth and Silas.” Kind of hard to stop saying something you’ve said for so long – I’ll never really stop…because I’ll always remember and reflect…and then pray with a renewed and ever new awareness of our loss – and continuing thankfulness for the blessing of knowing Patrick and of being loved and cared for by Patrick.

When I got to the office this morning and opened my email I saw this from Sally to Vickie and me:

Hi, dear ones,
Could it be FIVE years ago today we lost Patrick? You both were such comforts during and after that time! I just can't express how much we value your sustaining arms as an expression of God. You were the first ones to know there was trouble. Then you came running when you heard our cries of grief. Vick stayed right by me when I had to make calls. Bob went with David to the hospital and upheld Alice. The funeral was the most honoring funeral I have ever experienced and poured peace into our hearts. (Did the funeral actually take place on what would have been Alice and Patrick's 16th wedding anniversary? And Vick, remember all the sewing and cooking and cleaning up?) This is going to be a hard couple of days.

This is a pilgrimage isn’t it? What a blessing and comfort to walk in this Way with those we love and who love us.




1 comment:

  1. "Patrick was one of the most innocent and pristine people I’ve ever known, and one of the most the most thankful." Such a >perfect, true statement. Thank you so much for this remembrance! Love...

    ReplyDelete