Thursday, November 13, 2014

Foxes at Play; A Glimpse of Heaven, A Taste of Joy


Early one morning, as the fog hovered just above the trees, I was riding my motorcycle outside Huntington, MA, heading north, when coming around a curve I saw a mother fox and her kits playing in the road. It was a fleeting scene, for my presence caused them to flee; only a moment or two – but it was a lasting moment. The joy of the mother and pups running in circles and jumping brought joy to my heart. The early-morning ride occurred some fourteen or fifteen years ago, but the memory still brings joy and pleasure to me.

I remember how the rest of my ride that day was flavored with the delight of seeing the foxes and how I couldn’t wait to share my experience with Vickie.

This past Monday morning there were three adolescent foxes playing in our backyard; running in circles, jumping on each other, rolling over, leaping into piles of leaves – but this time, as Vickie and I enjoyed watching them, it was not a fleeting moment as it was outside Huntington, MA, but at least forty-five minutes of wonder, forty-five minutes of delight, forty-five minutes of a glimpse of heaven. Innocence at play is a preview of heaven, and perhaps nowhere do we see such innocence as in creation that has yet to encounter the hand of man and the general decay of the earth in its fallen condition.

Jesus wants His joy to be in us and He wants our joy to be full (John 15:11; 17:13) – this is not a joy of passing euphoria, but a joy that transcends circumstances and the vicissitudes of life; it is a joy of innocence, a joy without guile – rather simplistic it may seem, yet profound in actuality; profound because its source is God – not the trite little gods of temporal pleasure and narcissism and materialism – but the God who created and redeemed us to be His sons and daughters.


If earthly parents take pleasure in playing with their children – how much more does our heavenly Father look forward to playing with us?  

No comments:

Post a Comment