Saturday, November 1, 2014

Warranty and Salvation Scams


Today I received an envelope that proclaimed, above my name and address: WARNING: $2000 FINE, 5 YEARS IMPRISONMENT, OR BOTH FOR ANY PERSON INTERFERING OR OBSTRUCTING WITH DELIVERY OF THIS LETTER. U.S. MAIL, TTT.18 US. CODE.

It also had the make, model, and year of one of our cars. When I opened the envelope I was greeted with: IMPORTANT VEHICEL PROTECTION INFORMATION – PLEASE CALL IMMEDIATELY (and then a phone number).

I was then informed that my vehicle’s warranty had expired and that unless I wanted to take the risk of significant out-of-pocket expenses that I had better call the number and purchase protection. I wonder how many consumers call the number. I wonder how many owners of my particular make and model and year vehicle call the number. I hope none do because my vehicle has a 100,000 mile warranty and it would be a waste of money to purchase protection for a car that is already protected. Plus, why would I care to do business with a firm that uses deceptive business practices? But people must buy into the scam – otherwise why would they send these mailings?

I see the same thing in the church world, people think they have to add something to the Gospel, add something to the word of Jesus Christ, add something to secure their salvation. They seem to think that the warranty that comes with Jesus Christ is going to expire, that God’s grace and mercy in Christ is not good for the long haul.

The Galatians thought they needed to add religious works to secure God’s warranty, and Paul writes, “This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:2-3).

The Colossians seemed to want to cover all the bases, they were into keeping the Law, and dabbling with pseudo angels; if legalism wasn’t the trick then there was always Gnosticism (New Age). (See Colossians Chapter Two).

And the Corinthians! From sectarianism to false apostles to undue emphasis given to certain gifts, they were all over the board.

Why isn’t Jesus enough for us? Why do we insist on adding something to His Person and work? Why do we let people convince us that they have something to add to what Jesus has done? Why do Christians buy into religious scams that claim to make their heavenly warranty secure?

I knew the mailing I received was bogus because I’ve read the warranty on my car. Oh I wish Christians would read their Bibles and talk to one another about the Scriptures – we would be a lot less likely to buy into the next spiritual warranty that comes in the mailbox of life, that seeks to replace or supplement our Lord Jesus Christ and His Gospel.



No comments:

Post a Comment