Saturday, May 16, 2015

Spider Mites

This morning I sprayed 8 gallons of horticultural oil on our azaleas to combat spider mites. I have much more to do because we have lots of azaleas. The oil, which is environmentally friendly, smothers the mites. Spraying must be done when the temperatures are low, so morning is the best time. Tomorrow morning I plan to be at it again. The mites can kill the azaleas so spraying is imperative.

When I deal with weeds or harmful insects or plant diseases I'm reminded of my life in Christ and my relationships with others. Gardening is high maintenance; the only plants and flowers that don't require maintenance are artificial ones. Soil is important, pruning is important, water is important, nutrients are important, sunshine is important, preventative care is important, and responding to harmful insects is important. Did I mention that gardening is high maintenance?

I don't relish getting outside with a backpack sprayer as the sun is rising to pump and spray, pump and spray, pump and spray - but I know that if I don't that the azaleas will die. I don't enjoy it when the Holy Spirit reveals sin in my life, but I know that if I don't allow Him to deal with me about sin, that if I don't submit myself to Him, that if I don't allow the Word of God to reveal sin in me, and that if I don't confess my sin and repent of it...that spiritual death will work its way in my heart and mind and soul and spirit. My roots may remain in Christ, but my life will be without fruit, my branches will be dry and brittle, affording neither shade or fruit for others. 

I didn't notice the spider mites but Vickie did. Sometimes I see my sin right away, sometimes I don't. Sometimes others need to point out my sin to me. Sometimes my sin is something only I can see, sometimes it is obvious to others. 

While we can prevent further damage by the spider mites, we cannot undo the damage they have already done. Sometimes when we sin against others we can be redemptive in Christ, ask forgiveness, and significant healing can occur, relationships can be restored. Sometimes when we sin against others we do not have the opportunity to ask forgiveness, sometimes we cannot be redemptive due to constraints outside our control. The latter situation is particularly hurtful and sobering - better to recognize the spider mites early rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment