Thursday, February 22, 2018

Unconquered Territory (5)



Cast cords of love around my heart, then hold me and never let me go.
May the Saviour’s wounds sway me more than the sceptre of princes.
Let me love thee in a love that covers and swallows up all,
That I may not violate my chaste union with the beloved;
There is much unconquered territory in my nature,
Scourge out the buyers and sellers of my soul’s temple,
And give me in return, pure desires,
And longing after perfect holiness.  

The Valley of Vision, edited by Arthur Bennett, Banner of Truth, page 345.

There is much unconquered territory in my nature,

I am not sure that the word “nature” is the best word here, for our old “nature” died with Christ (Romans Chapter 6) and we have been given a new nature, His nature. God is not interested in renovating or improving the “nature” we were born with - He is interested in putting it to death, which He has done...oh if we would only recognize it.

Having said this, there is a sense in which we can say that there is unconquered territory within us, at least I can say it - I don’t pretend to understand the inner workings of humanity or of myself, I get a glimpse at times, but I am actually pretty dumb about the whole thing. This is one reason why I am driven to Christ and His Word, for I cannot help myself; I can deceive myself but I really can’t do much, if anything, to help myself. Many of us are masters at deceiving ourselves. Thankfully God’s Living Word penetrates to the depths of our innermost being (Hebrews 4:12) and does what only it can do...reveals sin, unveils Christ, and transforms us into His image...this comes about as, by His grace, we surrender to Him and submit to His Word.

I am reminded of accounts of isolated Japanese soldiers who, not knowing of their nation’s surrender, lived in jungles decades after WWII ended thinking they were still combatants...combatants in a war that ended long ago. Are there areas of my life that have not surrendered to Jesus Christ? Are there pockets of my inner person hiding from Jesus and His light and Word? Are there fortified cities? Are there underground tunnels? Have I erected walls, fortresses?

I wonder if I climb behind barriers so I don’t have to come out and trust God, exposing myself to Him and others? I wonder if I buy into the world’s disinformation about life and its values; do I submit to the fears and anxieties of the culture? How sad to live in a land in which Christ is Lord and yet not know it. How sad to live in His Kingdom, in territory that He has truly conquered, and yet be deceived into thinking that His victory is incomplete.

Well, as I said above, I don’t understand all of this but I do know that we can trust our kind and loving heavenly Father and our Lord Jesus - for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son; that is amazing love - to think that God loves us; you, me, others - I’ve never met a person whom God doesn’t love; I’ve met folks who I don’t love - shame on me - help me Lord to love as you love.

We can take consolation and hope in Paul’s words to the Christians in Philippi (Philippians 1:6): “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” (NASB)

Here’s the J.B. Phillips translation, a nice one: “I feel sure that the one who has begun his good work in you will go on developing it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

I like that idea of “will go on developing”.

Lord, help us to surrender ourselves to you, let there be no territory within us that You have not conquered.



No comments:

Post a Comment