Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Selling Jesus, Marketing Sheep and Doves


I wanted a Biblically-oriented greeting card so I went to the Jesus merchandise store, part of a national chain. Why do I do this? Maybe I’ve learned my lesson.

As I browsed the cards I overhead an interchange between a cashier and a customer.

Cashier, “Would you like to purchase this CD with excerpts from Christopher Christian’s ten top-selling books?”

Customer, “No thanks.”

Cashier, “We also have this great CD on sale with music inspired by Christine Christian’s latest speaking tour?”

Customer, “No thanks.”

Cashier, “And then there is this CD, available today, of inspirational thoughts to draw you closer to God recorded by well-known preachers, teachers, and vocal artists.”

Customer, “No thanks.”

Cashier, “Can we put you on our email list?”

Customer, “Sure.”

I thought about leaving the store without purchasing a card. “Am I at McDonald’s?” I wondered. Talk about selling. I expect the folks at the Hallmark store to offer me one item on “special” when I checkout, but three items? That’s over the top.

I made it through the sales transaction, knowing what to expect and saying “no” to everything – other than a pitch to purchase a Bible for a prison ministry, I did do that after I read about the ministry.

I realize that stores have to make money to stay in business, but really, pitching numerous “special” items at a checkout register at a Christian bookstore is one of the many things that turns such a bookstore into a Jesus merchandise shop.

Is there much difference between a Jesus merchandise shop and an NFL store? They are both about logos, favorite players (popular Christian authors, preachers, singers, etc.), excitement, and what’s trendy.


Trend with the world, die with the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment