Monday, September 5, 2016

The Cantaloupe


There was a knock on our door late on a Thursday evening a couple of weeks ago, it was Davey; in this arm was a cantaloupe rivaling the size of a basketball. It was as if he had returned with the twelve spies from Canaan, bringing examples of the fruit of the land.

Davey’s cantaloupe patch could have been mistaken for an organic basketball farm this season, the size of the fruit was amazing – he had come to share the fruit of his land.

I have never been able to grow cantaloupe, in fact the only good cantaloupe that has ever grown in our garden came from volunteer seeds that were in a load of topsoil that we purchased. Yes, there was that time a year or two ago when we had a couple of ripe melons in our garden from seed which we planted, but before we picked them critters got them – they looked good, they looked like they’d taste good…but we’ll never know.

We are thankful that Davey brought us a cantaloupe, it could have fed 5,000 – as it is we are still enjoying it.


I am thankful that others can grow what I cannot, I am thankful that others can produce what I have no talent for. Isn’t envy just about the dumbest thing you can think of? Isn’t jealously stupid? Maybe one day I will grow good cantaloupe, and if so then I hope I’m smart enough to give it away, to knock on someone’s door and share it. In the meantime I’ll be thankful for the gift of growing melons that God has given to Davey and others.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! What an honor to be written about by YOU! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David writes, God deserves all the glory because I've had an unusually difficult time with gardening, some of my own doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how our Father, the One who gardens our souls, can take our puny attempts, our ill-advised attempts, at life in its many forms and produce what only He can produce? We are like children with plastic garden tools working alongside an adult.

    ReplyDelete