Thursday, May 30, 2019

Is There No End?




I am told, by professing-Christians leaders, that we should pray against the enemies of our president. How can such a thing be? When we call political opponents enemies, we do not speak the language of democracy, we speak the language of totalitarianism.

Christians are called to pray for those in authority, I take that to mean, in our democracy, those in all three branches of constitutional government.  I do not take it to mean that we preach God a sermon in our prayers, nor preach a sermon to others in public prayers, but that we sincerely and genuinely pray for our leaders. (1 Timothy 2:1 – 4).

Chesterton wrote in The Judgement of Dr. Johnson, “I have formed a very clear conception of patriotism. I have generally found it thrust into the foreground by some fellow who has something to hide in the background. I have seen a great deal of patriotism; and I have generally found it the last refuge of the scoundrel.”

I see that a charitable organization that provides disaster relief is being turned into a political propaganda outlet for an evangelistic organization which once was intent on sharing the Gospel of Christ – is there no end to the promiscuity of some professing-Christian leaders?

What does it matter how powerful we are, how rich we are, how militarily secure we are…if we have rejected and desecrated the image of God? What matters it if we win politically (whatever that might mean, I really have no idea) and yet the soul of our nation and the soul of the professing - church is corrupt? Prostitute the Gospel for access to the hallways of power? Now we know what the corrupt priesthood in ancient Judah looked like; now we see why Yahweh sent the Babylonians.

No comments:

Post a Comment