Monday, December 20, 2021

The Fear of the LORD - An Example of Submitting to the Text (2)

  

In the previous post I asked us to consider ten passages that speak of fear, including the fear of the LORD. How do these passages relate to each other? How does “the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom” relate to “the one who fears is not perfected in love”? Is this a contradiction?

 

What about Paul writing “Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest to God,” in 2 Corinthians; but then in Romans he writes, “For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!”? Do these two passages contradict each other?

 

I have been in many small groups that, when the subject of fearing the LORD comes up, no one wants to really talk about it. I have often heard, “God is my Father and I am not going to fear Him.” Or “God is not going to judge me since I am a Christian and I’m not going to fear Him.” Or “I used to have a bad image of God because I had a bad relationship with my earthly father, but now I see God as love and I’m not going to fear him.”

 

When we adopt any of the foregoing attitudes toward passages such as, “the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,” are we submitting to the Bible or are we forcing the Bible to submit to us and our thinking and our feelings? What do we do when we have passages that seemingly contradict each other?

 

As we think about this, let me say that I have also known Christians who seem to know little of the God of love, of the fact that God has indeed sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, whereby we cry out “Abba! Father!” So you see, in the same room we can have folks who cannot conceive of intimacy with God the Father, who live in insecurity and a fear which is certainly not of the Bible; and yet we can also have folks who believe in a nebulous love without form, definition, or purpose and don’t think that the Father will hold them accountable for their lives.

 

The answer to the foregoing is not some kind of compromise, it is not both sides meeting in a theological middle, that is one of man’s ways of resolving an issue, but we should not be seeking to resolve an “issue,” we should be seeking to know the Living God and to live with one another in the Holy Spirit. And this, my dear friends, means that we seek to know God’s Word, as we submit to the Holy Spirit, live under the lordship of Jesus Christ, and seek the Face of our Father – acknowledging that we are pilgrims, that this world is not our home and that its ways are not our Way.

 

This means that we live lives being transformed by the Word of God and the Holy Spirit and that, by God’s grace, we are always learning, always seeking new vistas of the Kingdom, always growing in Jesus Christ and with one another. And it means that we learn the discipline of submitting to the Bible rather than foolishly attempting to have the Bible submit to us and our ways and our images and our thinking.

 

There are some things, perhaps many things (probably all things?), in the Bible and in our relationship with the Trinity that we will never fully understand while on this earth, but this is not to say that we cannot have some measure of understanding, and it is not to say that we cannot have full assurance of them – for the closer we get to the Heaven of heavens the more our words fail us, but the greater our assurance is, the clearer our vision becomes, the more grace and glory fill our hearts, and the more loving service we can give to our neighbor…all in Jesus Christ. A professing Christian, a pastor, a teacher, a congregation, not living life with a good measure of mystery is probably not living much of a life – for how can we possibly be in a relationship with the Trinity and not be humbled by mystery?

 

And so I think we live in holy tension as we meditate on the verses I’ve asked us to ponder, for they all ought to have a place in our hearts, for they all are the Word of God, speaking to us of our Father and Lord Jesus and as we submit to them the Holy Spirit will transform us into the image of Jesus Christ. If I can’t relate to a Biblical teaching, such as fear of the LORD, rather than say, “I don’t fear God and I’m not gong to fear God because I was in a fearful relationship with my earthly father,” might it be better to say, “Dear Father in heaven, help me to understand these passages, at least in some measure,  about the fear of the LORD, about fearing You, and help me to obey them, because right now I don’t understand them”?

 

If I can’t relate to passages about intimacy with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; rather than dismiss them because I can’t relate to them, might not it be better to say, “O Lord Jesus, help me to accept Your Word, to live in Your Word, I don’t understand these images of intimacy with You, I certainly don’t experience them, but I want to, help me to trust You in this, draw me to Yourself, help me to know You deeply”?

 

Can we be clear that we are most certainly accountable to God for our lives, for the way we live them?

 

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest to God; and I hope that we are made manifest also in your consciences.” 2 Corinthians 5:10 – 11. (See also 1 Corinthians 3:10 – 17). Note that Paul writes to Christians in the Corinthian letters.

 

Consider also Revelation chapters 2 and 3, where we see the Risen Christ speaking to the Seven Churches, within the entire letter of Revelation in which He speaks to all the Church; those churches in chapters two and three that do not repent will be judged, even in this life.

 

Also consider that discipline and correction and reproof are foundational elements of our life in Christ and of our relationship with our Father. We see this throughout the Bible, including:

 

“and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, ‘My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the LORD, nor faint when you are reproved by Him; for those whom the LORD loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives. It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons…but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.” (from Hebrews 12:6 – 10).

 

“Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.” (Revelation 3:19).

 

Insecure people cannot receive discipline or corrective instruction because they perceive it as rejection – we see this in many areas of life, including the Christian life. Also, Christians who have the idea that God is not holding them accountable for their lives seldom receive His discipline and instruction because they are not looking for it, are not sensitive to it, and in fact reject the notion that God would do such a thing when they insist they are not going to fear God. What a shame to live as infants – when God has given us our lives to know Him and grow in Him and be a blessing to those around us as mature sons and daughters in Jesus Christ.

 

Let me assure you that there is a thing more to be feared than the discipline of our Lord, and that is when He is not discipling us.

 

And so we are to live as those who will appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ, and as those who cry out “Abba! Father!” in an intimate relationship with our heavenly Father, and as those who live in the fear of the LORD, which is the beginning of wisdom. Just as God is One, so is God’s Word One. May we allow this tension to lead us deeper and deeper into the Trinity.

 

“So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in by absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12 – 13).

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment