Sunday, August 13, 2023

My Friend Bill - Part 2

 Continued from yesterday....


Within a day or two of my lunch with Les I called Bill, introduced myself, and told him about Les’s comment. Bill then told me about Needle’s Eye Ministries in Richmond, an outreach to the business and professional community. He also said that they had a Friday morning Bible study at the Shoney’s in Carytown. After our brief conversation I called Needle’s Eye and got the details on the Bible study – and as they say, the rest is history. However, since you don’t know the history, here are some highlights:

 

Vickie and I became regular attendees of the Bible study, led by Buddy Childress. O what a time we had and the friends we made in that lively and gracious group.

 

Micheal Daily was in that group, and Michael has been one of the most significant people in my life over the years. He and his wife Carol are dear to Vickie and me.

 

About the same time that we began attending the Carytown Bible study, Vickie met Ted Tussey through a Needle’s Eye luncheon. Years later I would participate in Ted’s ordination process and celebration, and Ted’s encouragement and friendship in our lives took many forms. Through Ted I would meet another dear friend, Steve Allsbrook. If I hadn’t talked to Bill DeWorken Vickie and I would not have met Ted, if I had not met Ted I would not have met Steve – if Bill had not had a testimony about Jesus Les would not have mentioned Bill to me and I would not have called Bill.

 

But get this – my Dad, who for most of his life was adamantly opposed to the Gospel, came to know Jesus through a chain of people and events that began with Ted Tussey. My Dad lived in Maryland, I was in Boston, Ted was in Richmond, and Ted had a friend, Bob, in Maryland. At my plea for help, Ted asked his friend to visit my Dad who was sick – this visit prepared the soil of my Dad’s heart to receive Jesus a few months after the visit.

 

Bill DeWorken’s witness to Les was a link in the chain that led to my Dad coming to know Jesus Christ. See how many ways Bill DeWorken was an answer to not just one of my prayers, but to many prayers. God was answering my prayer for my Dad to know Him years before the culmination of my Dad’s life on earth.

 

Vickie became a leader in Needle’s Eye small groups for women.

 

I became involved in a small group for men, later becoming its facilitator – and later becoming the small group coordinator for Needle’s Eye – I think we had about 40 small groups at the time.

 

In that first small men’s group I met Joe Bobb. Joe and Sharon Bobb are two significant people in our lives – the last time we saw them, just a few months ago, it was as if we were caught up to heaven and as if heaven had come down to earth – as if the New Jerusalem was descending – a sacred time in our Lord Jesus.

 

If it were not for Buddy Childress and Needle’s Eye we would not have moved to Boston for seminary. How many people have Vickie and I served since then? I could go on and on and on and on. There isn’t a sermon I’ve preached, a hospital visit I’ve made, a grieving family I’ve cared for, a family Vickie and I haven’t served – that can’t trace its beginnings back to Bill DeWorken being an answer to my prayer that afternoon in my office in Richmond, VA. Most of our friends, not all but most, are a result of Bill being used as God’s answer to my prayer.

 

So…my dear friend Bill…thank you for allowing God to use you, not only to pray for others, but to also be an answer to prayer. My life would not be the same without you!

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

 

Psalm 139.

 

Much love to you (and Mary) Billy!

 

Bobby (& Vickie)

No comments:

Post a Comment