Thursday, July 25, 2024

George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis (6)

 

 

I want to share some observations that may be helpful to some of us, and in the next post we’ll return to MacDonald and Lewis.

 

Jesus Christ is Biblical Christianity, and Biblical Christianity is Jesus Christ. There is cultural Christianity, there is churchy Christianity, and then there is Jesus Christ as He is revealed through the Scriptures. I think the Nicene Creed has no peer when it comes to expressing the essence of the Bible. And may I gently say that we are foolish children if we think creeds are unimportant – for we all have creeds, written or unwritten; so why not honor a creed that was forged in the fires of persecution, deep Biblical reflection and hard labor, and a passion for the glory of God in Jesus Christ?

 

I can’t begin to tell you of the many peoples I’ve met over the years, I say “peoples” because I’m thinking of communities, whether churches or ethnic groups, or theological traditions, or groups that almost defy definition such as the Jesus People and many of the folks in the early Charismatic Movement.  Nor can I hardly begin to share the many authors I’ve read from various traditions, many long dead (in the natural) and some still living. I owe many debts to the living and the dead – I am the product of many wonderful sisters and brothers in Jesus Christ – including dear friends over the years…again…some are now in the Presence of our Lord…some are still on earth.

 

The women and men I remember, the ones who have built into my life, the ones who have made a difference, are those who have loved Jesus Christ and have transmitted that love to me and others; for you can’t separate loving Jesus and loving others, or truly loving others and loving Jesus. This is a love with clear articulation and definition, it is not nebulous. The form it takes is the Crucified Christ, it is cruciform; Paul writes that he determined to know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified – O friends, if we do not hear and see this message we ought to run from what we do see and hear; as the disciples on the Mount, we want to look up and see only Jesus.

 

I will be the first to say that this makes life a bit difficult – not so much with respect to the world, for the world is the world is the world. Rather, it makes life difficult with respect to the professing church, for it seems that Jesus is never enough for us. We want our best lives now. We want success. We want to be esteemed by others. We want to accumulate things. We would much rather talk about “church” than talk about Jesus. Just listen to what Christians talk about and you will see what I mean.

 

This is a mystery to me, this propensity we have to talk about everything and everyone but Jesus. Why is this? If we truly know Him, then why don’t we talk about Him? What good is it to be a good Presbyterian or Roman Catholic or Baptist or Pentecostal if we don’t talk about Jesus? What good is it to be confirmed or baptized or to be ordained if we don’t know Jesus? What good is beautiful worship music or lively “praise” music if we don’t know Jesus? And frankly, a “Christian” worldview, if there is such a thing, is worthless without knowing Jesus Christ – for without knowing Jesus we can think we are something that we are not.

 

This insistence on Jesus Christ being Christianity makes life difficult with professing Christians because we don’t like it – we have our own agendas; political, nationalistic, economic, denominational. We also take subsidiary elements of the Bible out of context and make them the main thing – we often go from one “spiritual” religious “Biblical” fad to another, it is like having a membership in the “revelation of the month club.”

 

And the thing is, these “new” main things all look pretty good, they all appeal to our sense of making things better for us and others – usually these things that distract us from Jesus Christ are not bad things but good things. As the adage goes, “The good is the enemy of the better, and the better is the enemy of the best.” Let’s recall that the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil looked good. If we are not in love with Jesus we will not see this, we will not understand it, we will not have an eye nor an ear for it.

 

The Nicene Creed is not enough, the Bible is not enough, Mere Christianity is not enough – the Person of Jesus Christ is not enough. It seems was always want to add something to Jesus Christ.

 

But the men and women who have spoken into my life have insisted that Jesus is indeed not only enough, but that He is everything.

 

As with Lewis and MacDonald, and as Murray with Law, I have known saintly men and women who have radiated Jesus Christ and yet who have not always seen certain elements of the Bible as clearly as we might desire. I have also known people, and I have been one myself, who have had finely-turned doctrinal knowledge, but who have not been gracious or loving or caring or forgiving or giving or sacrificial – in short, who have not radiated Jesus Christ. As I look back over my life, I am appalled at what I see in my past, for there was a time when at best I was a Pharisee.

 

Someone once said to me that right doctrine produces right living. That is not true. Jesus Christ living in us produces righteous living – frankly, right doctrine without Jesus Christ can be dry orthodoxy and it can be toxic in the self-righteousness it can produce. Perhaps the most important doctrinal question is, “What do we think about Jesus Christ?” Or perhaps, “How is our relationship with Jesus Christ?” Then the next question is, “How is our relationship with His Body, His Bride, His Temple, His Church?”

 

We can hardly have a relationship with someone if we don’t communicate with them and they don’t communicate with us. If we speak to God then of course we ought to expect that God, our dear loving heavenly Father, will speak to us. Of course we ought to expect that our Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, who died and rose for us, who has given us His very Nature, will speak to us. Of course we ought to life live in and by the Holy Spirit, speaking to us holistically – whatever that may look like in our respective lives, in our marriages and families, in our congregations, our friendships.

 

And we ought to expect that God will speak to us through the transcendent Body of Jesus Christ, for we are members of one another. We ought to always be learning from one another, growing with one another in Jesus Christ.

 

I owe debts to so very many men and women in Jesus Christ, so many I have known in person, and so many through history via books of their writings and their recorded words and deeds. I owe a debt to William Law because I owe a tremendous debt to Andrew Murray, and since Law built into Murray, I owe a debt to Law. I was introduced to Murray just months after becoming a follower of Jesus, so for 58 years Andrew Murray has been a mentor to me in Jesus Christ…always pointing to Jesus, always encouraging me to abide in Jesus, to rest in Him, and to live by the Holy Spirit.

 

I owe a direct debt to both MacDonald and Lewis, or I suppose I could say that I owe a double debt to MacDonald. While I can’t recall when I first encountered Lewis, I also can’t recall when I haven’t been reading Lewis. Considering that Lewis called MacDonald his master, I obviously owe MacDonald a debt for I owe Lewis a debt.

 

But I owe MacDonald another debt, a first debt, a debt incurred prior to encountering Lewis; for when my mother read The Princess and the Goblin to me as a child, the numinous reached into my soul and gave me a sense of the Other that has continued to grow within me, in Christ, to this Day.

 

I am deeply thankful that others in Christ have touched me and continued to point me to Jesus, always to Jesus…from many traditions, from traditions within traditions, from seemingly outside traditions (such as the Jesus People), from many ethnicities and social and economic environments. I want to live as a Mere Christian, die as a Mere Christian, and stand before our Lord Jesus as a Mere Christian. After all, He has purchased me and I am His mere bondservant.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment