Saturday, September 14, 2024

Why Read the Old Testament? (5)

 

I recognize that this series is a bit different from others, in that it requires a fair amount of work. I was reluctant to embark on it, but once the ship left port I've had to be faithful to where the Holy Spirit and the Word are taking us. It is not only challenging for me to write, it is challenging for me to do the work I'm asking you to do. This reflection is an example; I'm picturing myself in the hypothetical congregation (described below) and working through what I might write as a member of that church. 


I might also mention that if you ever have questions or comments that you can either use the comment section on the blog, or email me directly at robertlwithers@gmail.com. 


Much love,

Bob

 

Dear Friend,

 

Now let’s consider Luke 24:26, “Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?”

 

After asking this, Jesus turns to “Moses and all the prophets” (24:27) to instruct the two disciples on the answer to His question. Once again, I’m going to ask you to think carefully about what is happening here because it is not something we usually think about – and I suppose the reason we don’t think about it is that we don’t read the Old Testament, nor do we really read the New Testament, nor do we preach or teach the Scriptures holistically.

 

I know this is a sweeping statement, an indictment if you will – well, since you are my friend you know how difficult I can be, but I hope you also know that I want the best for the People of God, the Bride of Christ, the Sheep of our Good Shepard…please bear with me.

 

Imagine us showing up at a church service this coming Sunday morning and saying, after reading the Road to Emmaus passage in Luke 24, “This morning we are going to do something a little different. The ushers are passing out clipboards, paper, and pens. Instead of the sermon this morning, we are going to ask you to answer this question:

 

How might Jesus have used Moses to demonstrate that it was necessary for the Messiah [the Christ] ‘to suffer these things and to enter into His glory’?”

 

What kind of responses would we receive? How would folks react? What might be typical?

 

Perhaps the first challenge in this setting is simply the term “Moses,” for as we saw in our previous reflection it is likely that few of us would know what to rightly make of the name “Moses.” But we can clarify this for the congregation by saying that the name Moses means the first five books of the Bible.

 

So now we’ve asked the people to share how Genesis – Deuteronomy demonstrate that it was necessary for the Messiah to “suffer these things” and to “enter into His glory.” We are asking how the Pentateuch speaks to us of Christ’s sufferings and also how it speaks to us of the Christ entering into His glory.

 

Where do we see the necessity of Christ’s sufferings in Genesis – Deuteronomy?

 

Where do we see Christ entering into His glory in Genesis – Deuteronomy?

 

What will the responses be from our hypothetical congregation? (To be sure we want to do our exercise after the offering!)

 

What would I write were I in the congregation?

 

What would you write?

 

Let’s ponder this and we’ll pick it back up, the Lord willing, in our next reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment