Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Clocking In At 4:00 PM – More Thoughts


This parable (Matthew 20:1-16) gives me hope. I’m not sure when I really started to work in the vineyard. There are days when I’m not even sure that I’ve started. I know there have been days when I thought I was working but was doing more harm than good – I’ve had a lot of those days. So when I read this parable I think, “Well, it’s never too late to get it right. Even if you start late there is hope.” Now I realize this wasn’t the point of the parable. It is a warning to us who are self-righteous and think we know who is more valuable or worthy; it is a picture of the grace of God, as Luther wrote concerning this parable, “…God does not want to deal with us according to our work, according to our deserving, but according to grace.”

The idea of grace makes me hopeful as well – for I can’t work enough for God, I can’t earn God’s grace, or His mercy, or His favor. To the religious leaders of Jesus’ day it was a warning that just maybe they would be last so they’d better watch out. Since then, in every generation, religious leaders ought to pay attention to this parable – just because we have divinity degrees doesn’t mean a thing when it comes time for the Owner of the vineyard to settle up with the laborers. Frankly, divinity degrees can get in the way of good honest hard work in the vineyard – we can think we are something we are not.

I think maybe I’ve knocked a good deal of fruit off the vine with my stupidity. I’ve also passed by some ripe fruit because I didn’t recognize it. And then there have been times when it has been too blasted hot to work and I’ve made excuses and snuck out early – not finishing the job. Then I’ve picked fruit before it was ripe; then there is the fruit that I’ve allowed to rot. Oh yes, then I’ve pulled weeds when I should have left them alone because in pulling the weeds I inadvertently pulled and damaged fruit.

So this idea of God’s grace is a good thing for me to ponder and hope for; it does give me hope, even joy. I need not trust myself or my ability – I can trust the Owner of the vineyard – He has shown who He is in and through Jesus Christ. I know whatever He gives me will be more kindness than I deserve…much much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment