Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Mail


Yesterday’s mail:

The Discover Card wants me to go into debt – if I don’t they won’t make money. They are going to give me 0% intro APR – I think Solomon warned about this kind of thing, I don’t think I’ll open the envelope.

Capital One must have been watching the Discover Card people – they want me to go into debt too. They also promise 0% intro. They point out that they are the “Official Bank and Credit Card of the NCAA.” Now what exactly am I to think of that? I can’t recall anything about the NCAA caring about anything but money – certainly it doesn’t care about what are supposed to be “student – athletes” or it would put education before profit. Maybe being the official bank of the NCAA is a warning to me? How nice of Capital One to warn me. I don’t think I’ll open this envelope either.

Here’s another envelope from Capital One – this one wants me to open a savings account. I’m confused. How can I do into debt with Capital One if I put my money into a savings account with Capital One? How can I save with Capital One if I go into debt with Capital One? Maybe they should have staggered these mailings? I’d better pass on opening this envelope – too much to think about.

American Home Shield wants me to purchase a repair policy on our home – no point opening this one because we had a poor experience with them – the outside of the envelope tells me “Important Information Enclosed” but I don’t believe them.

ADT is sending me an “Exclusive Limited-Time Offer” – I wonder how exclusive it is? I’ll save you additional commentary – into the trash.

The ASPCA wants me to join – it’s even sent me a membership card that I didn’t ask for. I opened this one, it’s a heart thing. We aren’t going to join, and I wonder how much the organization spends on fundraising, but still, we would probably join if our resources were greater – right now we’re focused on feeding people, especially with sustainable programs like Heifer International.

My alma mater wants money – I wonder how much it spends on fundraising? I opened this one too just to see if it has changed its pitch. I am concerned about some of the school’s direction – when you try to become too relevant you can become irrelevant. I am also concerned that it doesn’t “listen”. It sent me an online survey that I took the time to fill out and make comments on, assuring me that it would be reviewed – but I didn’t receive a response. I think this is the second time this has happened. What’s the point? It wants my checks but not my thoughts.

I have two pieces of mail left – one from Costco and one from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. The one from Costco is a food recall; the problem is that it is recalling food we’ve already eaten – we seem to be ok. I did open this one just to make sure I knew what the food was – the food was actually pretty good; there was potential listeria contamination the notice tells me.


One piece of mail left, from the Billy Graham group…I’ll reflect on that tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment