Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Reflections on a Career (8)



Yesterday was my last day at work with D&F. It seems only like yesterday that I gave my 60-day notice. Of course, early this year I let my boss know that I would likely be leaving in 2017; however, there were a couple of projects I wanted to see through to completion. As it turned out one of the projects is still hanging, but that was beyond my control. In January 2016 I told my boss that my goal over the next approximately 24 months was to do all I could to help my colleagues and subordinates for their future success. Twenty-four months ago seems like last week now.

I participate in a men’s Tuesday-morning fellowship and yesterday it was a good thing I did or I’m not certain when I would have arrived at the office. I have had a pretty strict morning routine, but yesterday morning it was hard to leave our home. I realized it at the time, it seemed that I was finding last-minute things to do before leaving - empty the trash, bring dog food up from the basement, make sure the coffee was ready for Vickie; one thing after another. Finally I realized that if I didn’t leave for the men’s group that I would be late - not a good thing when you are the facilitator.

When I arrived at the office I set about to finish my task list; scrub my cell phone, scrub my computer and transfer files to the server, turn in my office key and security fob. Lucy said, “Bob, can’t you wait to give me your key and fob later today?” But no, I needed to get it all done.

It was like a weight was on me, an emotional weight - I didn’t know my last day would be so hard. It was part of a string of emotional days; last Thursday my team put together a luncheon that surprised and overwhelmed me. Monday our regional office hosted a luncheon and surprised me - I saw some friends that I haven’t seen in quite a while, and I was quite pleased when some folks from our Newport News office made the trip; just as I was pleased when some special folks from Newport News and Williamsburg came up last Thursday.

Yesterday morning two of my managers called me. I thought, “Oh my, I hope I don’t get any more of these calls because I don’t know that I can handle them.” Of course I look forward to keeping in touch with my wonderful team members on a personal basis; I have been immeasurably blessed by them.

Everyone has been so kind to Vickie throughout this time; kind and generous to us. I’m glad I’ve been able to share this with my wife; I’m glad she has gotten to know my wonderful group of managers and many of their teams. I don’t dare mention names as I recount these past couple of weeks lest I inadvertently omit someone.

Today feels like Saturday and perhaps tomorrow will feel like Sunday. What does our kind heavenly Father have for our future? Whatever it is I hope we are faithful to Him and others; I hope we are a blessing to others.

Well...probably more later...just had to write something.

No comments:

Post a Comment