Monday, January 14, 2019

American Idols



“Little children, guard yourselves from idols.” 1 John 5:21

Interesting that John concludes his letter with these words. Did his readers anticipate this? The letter begins with our koinonia (fellowship, communion, intimacy) with the Trinity, it ends with this warning.

Why did Jesus, in what was apparently His first message in His hometown synagogue at the beginning of His public ministry, use two examples of God’s grace and mercy that were sure to anger and inflame the congregation (Luke 4:25 – 30)? Surely there were examples of God working within the people of Israel and Judah that He could have used?

Are we not like the disciples on the Mount of Transfiguration, wanting to build three tabernacles, one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah? Can we not hear the Father’s voice, “This is My Son, My Chosen One, hear Him!”?

What are the tabernacles that we have built to compete with Jesus Christ? What “sacred” competition have we invited into our lives and the lives of our churches? What sacred – idolatrous images and ideas are we guarding? We can answer that, in part, by looking at the congregation in Nazareth – what, if touched, inflames our anger? What causes us to throw Jesus out of the synagogue and attempt to murder Him?  A pastor can often answer the question by being honest enough to ask, “What must I avoid in preaching so as not to inflame the congregation?” Of course, it can be discouraging to be honest. Why?

Well, as a pastor, to be honest about idols in the congregation is to look at what can seem as insurmountable challenges – ingrained idols are not easily removed. Also, as a pastor, to recognize idols that “must not be touched” can be a challenge to one’s character – “Am I going to preach the Word of God with courage, or am I a coward?” I don’t appreciate asking myself the question, I don’t like the question, but I must ask myself the question. But then, it is a good question; and if the question brings me to the end of myself and throws me upon the Christ of the Cross and the Cross of Christ, then it is indeed a question that leads to redemption; it is a question that (hopefully in Christ) brings my self-sufficiency to an end (at least for a moment!) and by God’s grace the Treasure in earthen vessels will shine through (2 Corinthians 4:7).

One would think that seeing the glory of Jesus Christ on the Mount of Transfiguration would have surpassed any inclination in the disciples to build three tabernacles, but it didn’t. This should be a warning to us – we can take the good things of God and transpose them downward into idolatry (see Numbers 21:8 and 2 Kings 18:4 as an example).

Is it fair to ask, “If we can take the good things of God and transpose them downward into idolatry, can we also take the “good” things of this world and fashion them into idols?” That which is good can be transposed into the demonic without us sensing that the temperature in the kettle is rising. The “good” can appear to be so “good” that we dare not challenge it, we dare not ask, “What is this thing doing in my heart, doing in our hearts, competing with Jesus Christ?”

What is it that I, as a pastor, dare not touch lest the people expel me from the church and throw me off a cliff? What is it that might arouse my own anger should someone dare to suggest that something I hold dear is completing with Jesus Christ for my adoration and worship and allegiance?

But of course, you need not be concerned about this…right?

No comments:

Post a Comment