Tuesday, January 1, 2019

A New Year’s Desire



In Exodus 33:13 and 18 we read Moses asking Yahweh, “Now therefore I pray You, if I have found favor in Your sight, let me know Your ways that I may know You…Then Moses said, I pray You, show me Your glory!”

Moses wanted to know the ways of God and he wanted to see God’s glory, God’s face (Exodus 33:20). In Psalm 103:7 David writes, “He made know His ways to Moses…”

Centuries later Paul writes from prison, “…that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings…” (Philippians 3:10).

David writes, “When You said, Seek My face, my heart said to You, Your face, O Yahweh, I shall seek” (Psalm 27:8).

Three times in Psalm 80 the psalmist implores God to “cause You face to shine upon us”.

In this New Year, ought not our desire and prayer be for our Father to teach us His ways so that we might know Him more intimately? Ought it not to be that we will see His face?

A Day is coming when we will “see His face” (Revelation 22:4) in the fulness of our redemption, ought we not to be seeking His face right now, even as we see through a glass darkly?

“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Fix your mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:1 – 2).

O heavenly Father, please let this New Year be a year of us learning Your ways and seeking Your face. Please cause Your face to shine upon us that we may live in the light of Your mercy and grace and be a blessing to those around us in our Lord Jesus Christ. Let knowing You be our all-consuming desire.”


No comments:

Post a Comment