Wednesday, February 20, 2019

What Matters?

Yesterday, after my Tuesday-morning men's group, one of the guys and I were talking about "what really matters." This morning I wrote him the following note:

Good morning friend,

As we were leaving yesterday we were musing about what is important in life, particularly with respect to our careers. 

One of the things I used to do when dealing with highly-pressurized situations is to ensure that I kept copies of critical correspondence at home, as well as at the office...after all...you never know when you'll need documentation as back-up.

So then, I've been cleaning out files at home - lightening the load you might say. Yesterday I came across a file containing highly-charged communications between a client (a financial institution) and me. At the time it was quite the mess and I was telling the client things the client didn't like - they had gotten into a bad deal without performing due diligence and they needed to cut their losses. 

Anyway, yesterday I looked at the file and thought, "That goes in the trash." It was just paper to me. It was morning dew on the grass. It was gone. It wasn't important. 

On the mantel in my downstairs office is a group photo of some of my staff, given to me as a retirement present, on the margins of the photo everyone wrote something. Now that's important. 

Just wanted to share these thoughts.

Blessings,

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment