Saturday, February 2, 2019

Eleven Words



I know the eleven words are coming. If there is another pastor involved he or she knows that those eleven words are coming. “They” didn’t talk about the eleven words in seminary – why did “they” miss so much? – after all, the tuition was hefty.

I think had I been trained by a Church Father that the eleven words might have been discussed; not only their effect on a family, but also the Biblical theology behind them. After all, most of the Church Fathers were also pastors – they didn’t do theology within the confines of a sanitized academic setting.  

Whether I’m with the family when their loved one passes away, or whether I receive the news via a phone call, I know something the grieving family doesn’t, unless there is a pastor in the family…I know about the eleven words. I know that at some point I will say those eleven words, and I know as I say them that the reality of death will strike into hearts like a bolt of lightning; I know that hearts and souls will be pierced.

I saw it today in the cemetery. A husband lost his wife of almost 60 years, and as I approached the eleven words I knew what was coming, and once again those words found their mark.

Perhaps until the eleven words are heard, until they are spoken, perhaps we hope that it is a dream, that our loved one really isn’t dead, or that a miracle will occur at the grave site. I often have that hope, I often entertain the possibility – why not? We can hope can’t we?

Of course a Day will come when the eleven words will perhaps not even be a memory, for those in Christ will see the face of God and all tears will be wiped away. Will Vickie hear those words first, or will I? Whose heart will be pierced – will it be Bob’s or Vickie's? Well, these things are best left in the hands and heart of our gracious and kind Heavenly Father.

Those eleven words are irrevocable, they are final – and yet for the Christian they are not the end of the story – but to be sure they bring pain – yes of course there is our assurance in Christ, but of course there is pain…let us not be fools and deny the grief and pain we experience on this earth, in this fragile life.

Below I’ve italicized the eleven words (the name is of a man I knew years go, his memory is with me tonight) – I know they are coming, I know I will say them…and before I say them I always pause…I always pause. I pause because I know what is coming, and I know when I next speak that my words will pierce hearts and bring tears. This family has trusted me, they have invited me into their grief and pain – and now I will speak words that will shock them…yes…these words are surrounded by other words of hope and comfort and assurance…but for a moment these eleven words will have their way, burning into hearts like a branding iron – and the mark will remain, there will be scare tissue surrounding it.

I love this family…but now the time has come to speak these eleven words:

“Hear the Word of Holy Scripture:

“And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them.  They will be his people and God Himself will be with them and be their God.  He will wipe away all tears from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

“Forasmuch as the spirit of John Roughly has returned to God, who gave it, we therefore tenderly and in love commit his body to the grave in sure trust and certain hope of the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, through our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall give to us new bodies like unto His glorious body.  Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment