Wednesday, July 17, 2019

One Giant Leap



Here is a little something to ponder, well, not really a little something; it may appear little to you at first blush, but I promise it is not.

Surrounding the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s first step on the moon is discussion about just what exactly he said – the debate continues. He intended to say, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” However, the audio seems to indicate that he actually said, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” There are audiologists who think they here the words “a man” instead of “man” – the article “a” is important. Armstrong intended to use the article “a” to refer to himself, and then the collective noun “mankind” to refer to us all. Otherwise, “man” without the article is collective as well and his statement has redundancy.

So I ask you, has “man” been to the moon, or have “men” been to the moon? When Armstrong first stepped on the moon was that “a” man stepping on the moon, or was it “man” “mankind” stepping on the moon?

Or was it both?

If you will work with this, you might find some treasures in Romans 5:12 – 8:39 and 1 Corinthians 15:20 – 28, 42 – 49…by the grace of God of course.

What is my relationship to Adam? (Romans 5)

What is my relationship to sin? (Romans 6)

What is my relationship to the Law? (Romans 7)

What is my relationship to the flesh? (Romans 8)

Am I living as a son (or daughter) of the Living God in Jesus Christ? Or am I still earthbound?


No comments:

Post a Comment