Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Peace of God (2)

Wednesday, August 5: James 1:19 – 20; 3:8 – 18.

 

How would you explain James 1:19 – 20 to your grandchildren or to a Sunday school class of younger people? Have you known men or women who were examples of these two verses? What were they like? Do these verses challenge you today? Have they ever challenged you?

 

Consider the verses coming before and after these two verses, how do they form a story, a message?

 

The Holy Spirit has convicted me of verse 20 many times, many times I have been selfishly angry, and the Lord has convicted me of this sin. Part and parcel of this conviction has been to ask forgiveness of those I have been angry with. While I don’t recommend that we sin in order to share the Gospel, I have learned than when I sin and seek forgiveness from others that I am able to model love for Christ, love for others, and a desire to obey Christ. I’ve also learned that in seeking forgiveness that I am able, by God’s grace, to show the world a way, in Christ, to heal relationships.

 

In some of my bibles I’ve written the name “Bob” above the word “man” in verse 20. When I read verse 20 I read, “…for the anger of Bob does not achieve the righteousness of God.” I read it this way whether or not I’ve actually written my name in the verse – it is a good reminder to me that God’s Word is speaking directly to me.

 

In considering James 3:8 – 18, please pay particular attention to verses 17 – 18. Note the word “gentle” which we considered yesterday in Philippians. What are the characteristics of “the wisdom from above”? In verse 18, how is the fruit of righteousness sown?

 

We live in a culture that is permeated by violence and anger – not just physical violence as we normally think of violence, but violence in the way we communicate (the loudest and most belligerent mouth wins), violence in the way we do business, violence in politics – “might makes right and the means justifies the end”.

 

If we are going to experience the peace of God, and share that peace with others, we need to know not only what that peace looks like, but we need to understand that when we adopt the ways of the world that we are touching what is demonic (James 3:15). As sons and daughters of the Living God, as brothers and sisters of our Lord Jesus Christ, are we showing the family likeness in our lives?

 

What can we learn from these passages in James? Let’s ask the Holy Spirit to show Christ to us through these passages, and let’s share the “wisdom that is from above” in peace with those around us.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment