Monday, June 14, 2021

Pondering Judges (1)

 

“Then [the tribe of] Judah said to [the tribe of] Simeon his brother, Come up with me into the territory allotted to me, that we may fight against the Canaanites; and I in turn will go with you into the territory allotted you. So Simeon went with him.” Judges 1:3.

 

Isn’t this the way it’s supposed to be? Brothers and sisters helping one another grow in their inheritance in Christ? And if we must have denominations and doctrinal distinctives because of the hardness of our hearts, then let’s remember the context of this passage – tribes helping one another gain their inheritance. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Presbyterians assisted Baptists, and Pentecostals assisted Methodists, and Lutherans gave a hand to Nazarenes in the obtaining of our mutual inheritance in Jesus Christ?

 

“For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established; that is, that I may be encouraged together with you while among you, each of us by the other’s faith, both yours and mine.” (Romans 1:11 – 12).

 

What am I doing to facilitate this Biblical vision? What are our congregations doing? What are our traditions and denominations doing? What are you doing?

 

I’m reminded of a time when I was a teenager and two churches that I was close to had revival services during the same week. One was a Baptist church and the other was an Assembly of God; both of the pastors were good men; the churches were just a few miles apart. I went to each pastor and said, “Since your churches are having revival services the same week, wouldn’t it be great if each church would pray for the other church?”

 

I was given a pat on the head, told that I was a good boy, and sent on my idealistic way – how naïve to think that Ephesians 4 and John 17 still applied to the Church of Jesus Christ.

 

It is better to try and fail in this than not to try at all. It is better to be the only one in your congregation or denomination or city or town to, by the grace of God, attempt to fulfill the prayer of Jesus Christ that we would all be one, as the Father and Son are one (John 17), than to turn your back on the prayer of the Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment