Friday, August 26, 2022

A Bumper Sticker

 

A Bumper Sticker

Robert L. Withers

           

I thought You were a bumper sticker

How stupid could I be?

I thought You were a pithy saying,

“I Found It” I proclaimed.

 

Then I thought You were an experience,

Which I needed to join the club.

Then it was that special doctrine,

Distinct to just a few.

 

But of course You were really all about music,

A certain sound and type.

And then it was a worldview,

And then a certain flag.

 

Then a political party, came to save my soul,

Did I mention health and wealth, or eschatology?

But then I left them all behind,

So that I could follow You.

 

Cause You ain’t no bumper sticker,

Or any of these other things,

You’re Jesus Christ the Son of God

And You died and rose for me.

 

And I will glory in nothing else,

For there is no one other than You,

To Whom my soul belongs,

Jesus Christ, I’ll follow You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment