Monday, March 28, 2016

Questions and Answers

“Is Easter real?” I asked a coworker. “Did Jesus really rise from the dead?”

“Of course,” he replied.

“How does that affect your life?”

“It makes me want to be a better dad.”

I asked another coworker the same question. He replied, “Of course.”

“Why do you believe Jesus rose from the dead?” I asked.

“I guess faith.”

“What does that mean? What is the object of your faith?” I continued.

“Well, don’t people believe in different things and they all have a point. I’m not sure what you mean by an object of faith.”

We then had a discussion about the object of faith – I used my dislike of flying as an example. I don’t have a great measure of faith in flying, but since I know the object of my little faith is reliable, I remind myself of that when the plane I’m on encounters turbulence. On the other hand I may have a great measure of faith that I can fly like Superman, but all I need do is jump off a tall building to demonstrate that a great measure of faith in an unreliable object leads to problems.

Faith without an object corresponding to reality is uninformed faith; uninformed faith is not the faith of the Bible – yet our society abounds in uninformed beliefs and faith and sees no inconsistency when these beliefs contradict each other. Nor do we question what the result of our faith ought to be – being a good father is commendable but that is not the primary way the resurrection of Jesus Christ ought to affect our lives.

If we don’t ask questions we’ll not understand the people around us. If we don’t understand them how can we communicate the amazing Good News of Jesus to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment