Monday, June 13, 2016

No Potatoes?


There were leftover potatoes in the fridge – earmarked for this morning’s breakfast…for me. I was going to have potatoes, eggs, a slice of pumpernickel bread, and fake meat – it was going to be good. Vickie was going to have fruit and a bagel. Breakfast on the deck was going to be good.

When Vickie called me into the kitchen to get my plate and take it outside she said, “There are no potatoes. When I was taking them out of the refrigerator I dropped them and the top of the container popped off and the potatoes fell on the floor, so I threw them away.”

“You threw them away? We could have washed them off.”

“I am not going to have you eat potatoes that have been on the floor.”

As we were eating on the deck I opened a jar of pumpkin butter so I could spread some on my pumpernickel. After spreading some on my bread the top of the lid caught my eye, it had mold growing on it. Yes, yes, the jar had been opened for quite a while, it isn’t as if I eat breakfast at home often and when I do it isn’t as if I use pumpkin butter all of the time. As I pondered the mold Vickie caught my expression, asked me what was going on, and when I told her she said, “I’ll get you another slice of toast.”

“No,” I replied, “I’ll just scrape this off.”.

“Ok, if you scrape it off that should be fine.”

At least I salvaged my toast. I did have to throw the jar of pumpkin butter away. Maybe I should have sent the lid to NIH, might have been a cure for some malady growing right in our own refrigerator.


Still though…no potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment