Friday, November 8, 2019

A Little



This morning I found much comfort in these words:

“I know your deeds. Behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power, and have kept My word, and have not denied My name” (Revelation 3:8, italics mine).

I admit that sometimes, perhaps many times, I lament my lack of effectiveness toward others in Christ. Yes, yes, I understand that “unless Yahweh build the house, they labor in vain who build it”, and I hear Jesus saying, “Without me you can do nothing.” Yes, I know that it isn’t the measure of my faith but rather the object of my faith that is critical.

And yet, I still struggle at times with the idea that after all these years I am not a more faithful servant of Christ, toward Him and toward others.

So then, the thought that we can be those who have but “a little power” and yet keep His Word and not deny His Name; the thought that He sees us and sustains us, that Christ loves us (Rev. 3:9), that Christ keeps us in this hour of trial (Rev. 3:10), and that He has a wonderful inheritance for us (Rev. 3:12) – well, this thought is comforting to me.

To have but “a little power” is enough, yes it is enough, if it means that I am in Christ and He is in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment