Thursday, February 13, 2020

Psalm 103 – A Meditation (1)




“Bless Yahweh O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.”

The psalm begins the way it ends, and it ends the way it begins – “Bless Yahweh O my soul.” (Let’s remember that when we see the word LORD capitalized, that it is the Hebrew Covenant Name for God).

Is there a better way to begin and end each day? Ought we not to arise blessing our God? Ought we not to enter into sleep blessing our Father and Lord Jesus?

My soul, the very depth of my being, is called to bless my Father. Every fiber of my being, all that I am, “all that is within me”, is called to bless His holy name.

Let us not forget that His name is holy. Let us not forget that the name of Jesus is holy for it is the name of God, just as Yahweh is the name of God – indeed the name Jesus means “Yahweh saves”.

We live in a world that seeks to deaden our souls, to make them numb and dumb – souls that cannot speak, that cannot feel, that do not express themselves. The world would strangle our souls so that they can neither bless God nor humanity.

We are called to bless our Father and Lord Jesus, day in and day out, night in and night out; as we live lives of worship we resist the pressures of the evil surrounding us – otherwise we will be crushed by the weight of sin and rebellion around us, we will implode, and though our candle wick may not be completely extinguished, it will but smolder and produce smoke rather than light.

Bless the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit O my soul! Let this day be a life of worship. Let everyday be a life of worship. Let my soul be an altar of worship, my body be a temple of worship – as I bless His holy name let the blessing come from a holy altar, a holy life – and let my life be a living sacrifice on the altar of this life, on the altar of my soul.

Bless the LORD O my soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment