Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Morning Dedication Prayer


Morning Dedication

[Adapted from The Valley of Vision,
Banner of Truth, pp. 220 – 221][1]

Holy Father,[2]

As I cross the threshold of this new day, I commit myself, heart, mind, soul, body, affairs, friends, my present, my future, my past, to your tender loving care;[3]

Watch over, keep, guide, direct, sanctify, bless me.

Incline my heart to your ways;[4]

Mold me wholly into the image of Jesus, as a potter forms clay;[5]

May my lips be a well-tuned harp, sounding forth your praise;[6]

Let those around[7] see me living by your Spirit,[8]
trampling the world underfoot,[9]
unconformed to lying vanities,
transformed by a renewed mind,[10]
clad in the entire armor of God,[11]
shining as a never dimmed light,[12]
showing holiness in all my doings.[13]

Let no evil this day soil my thoughts, words, hands.[14]

May I travel miry paths with a life pure from spot or stain.[15]

In needful transactions let my affection be in heaven,
and my love soar upwards in flames of fire,
my gaze fixed on unseen things,[16]
my eyes open to the emptiness, fragility, mockery of earth and its vanities.

May I view all things in the mirror of eternity,
waiting for the coming of my Lord,[17]
listening for the last trumpet call,
hastening unto the new heaven and earth.

Order this day all my communications according to your wisdom
and to the gain of mutual good.[18]

Forbid that I should not be profited or made profitable.[19]

May I speak each word as if my last word,
and walk each step as my final one.

If my life should end today,
let this be my best day.[20]


[1] I have updated some language, for example, substituting “your” for “thy”; other adaption is as noted below. In order for this prayer to become part of our lives, I encourage us to pray it daily for at least fourteen days. I also encourage us to memorize it – don’t worry if you forget it, it will come back to you, it will become part of you as you commune with the True and Living God in Christ.
[2] While the original begins with “Almighty God”, the intimacy of this prayer influences me to begin with “Holy Father” – see John 17:11.
[3] I have expanded this line, and in actual practice expand it to include those people and situations which represent the inner circle of my prayer and intercession on any given day. Are we not called to commit all to our Holy Father?
[4] All of our Father’s ways are found in Jesus, the Way.
[5] I visualize myself as clay on the Potter’s wheel – a wheel of life in Christ. Can you see the Potter’s hands on, and in, your life?
[6] Hebrews 13:15
[7] We are called to be faithful and holy witnesses.
[8] Romans 8:14
[9] 1 John 2:15 - 17
[10] Romans 12:1 – 2; 2 Corinthians 3:17 – 18; Ephesians 4:20 - 24
[11] Ephesians 6:10 – 20; 1 Thessalonians 5:8
[12] Proverbs 4:18; Isaiah 60:1 - 3
[13] 1 Peter 1:13 – 16; Hebrews 12:14; 2 Corinthians 6:14 – 7:1
[14] As I pray this I s-l-o-w down and visualize my mind, my mouth, my hands and feet – presenting them to my Father at the beginning of each new day. This is, after all, a prayer of dedication.
[15] Psalm 1
[16] Colossians 3:1 – 4; 2 Corinthians 4:16 - 18
[17] Philippians 3:20 – 21; 1 Thessalonians 1:9 – 10; 1 John 3:1 - 3
[18] Colossians 3:14 – 17; 4:6
[19] We are called to both give and to receive – wherever we might find ourselves on a given day.
[20] I also add, “and the best day of my marriage.”

No comments:

Post a Comment