Thursday, June 1, 2023

Pondering Proverbs - Witness

 Pondering Proverbs – Witness (4)

 

“Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is the lazy one to those who send him.” Proverbs 10:26.

 

We hit “send” on our email or click on the send icon on our text message, and our message is sent – whether to someone across the street or across the world. We are accustomed to instant communication, and as such people, Proverbs 10:26 may be a verse that we gloss over. After all, when is the last time we sent a message by messenger?

 

Yet, there are still messages better communicated by speech over the telephone or in a video meeting than via email or text; and there are still messages best communicated in person. When God wanted to communicate the depths of His love for us, He sent His Son, and as John wrote, “we’ve heard Him, we’ve seen Him, and we’ve touched Him” (1 John 1:1).

 

Furthermore, even though God has given us the Bible, His Word, this Word is to be communicated in person by speech, as Paul writes, "And how will they hear without a preacher? How will they preach unless they are sent?” (Romans 10:14 – 15). Communicating the Gospel is a marriage of the Word written and the Word spoken – it is the Word incarnated continuing in its Incarnation.

 

And so Jesus commands us to “go” and to “teach,” making disciples among all peoples (Matt. 28:18 – 20). The question then, in light of Proverbs 10:26, is whether we are a “going” people or a lazy people. Is my life one of “going” to others with God’s message, or am I lazy? Are our churches “going” churches? Has your life, dear reader, been one of going for Jesus Christ, taking His message to others wherever you are?

 

Going with the message of God in Christ means going out of myself and extending myself to others. It means opening myself up to others in devotion to Jesus Christ, conveying the words of Jesus, demonstrating the actions of Jesus. In means, to use a current phrase, “Putting myself out there” for others.

 

What is it like to have a mouthful of vinegar? What is it like to have our eyes filled with smoke? This is what it is like when someone sends a message by a lazy messenger – it is irritating, it is an experience we want to end as soon as possible – it is an experience that is bitter and brings tears to our eyes.

 

While this is decidedly anthropomorphic, what kind of messenger am I toward the One who sent me? Am I bringing vinegar and smoke to the Trinity, or am I faithfully – by God’s grace – going out of myself to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to others?

 

Do I have coworkers with whom I have never shared Jesus Christ? How lazy must we be to sit in the same office with others, or work in the same store with others, or labor in the same trade with others – and yet never share the amazing love of God in Christ with them? How lazy must we be to sit in the same classroom, to teach in the same school, to play at the same sport, to live on the same street – and yet never share the message that God in Christ sent us to share with others. What kind of messenger does such a life make us?

 

I know what it is to be a lazy messenger, and I know the sickening realization that I have been one. I also know what it is, by God’s enabling grace, to go out of myself, out of my cocoon of what I think is safety, and share Jesus Christ with my neighbors – at school, at work, in my community.  As we saw in a previous post, Jesus promises us that He will always be with us, even to the end of the age…we can always and forever trust our Lord Jesus to be with us when we go out of ourselves and bring His message to others.

 

And here’s a thing we should remember, we are not messengers on our own authority – we have been sent to others by our Lord Jesus Christ – the One to whom we belong. We go to others not with our own message, but with the message which Christ Jesus has entrusted to us – our call is to be obedient and not lazy; our message is His and not ours. We are called to please God and not humanity, to obey God and not man.

 

Are our lives a sweet aroma to God, or are they irritating smoke?

 

Who will we bring God’s message to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment