Thursday, August 1, 2024

George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis (8)

 

 

From C. S. Lewis’s Preface to the MacDonald Anthology:

 

“It must be more than thirty years ago that I bought – almost unwillingly, for I had looked at the volume on that bookstall and rejected it on a dozen previous occasions – the Everyman edition of Phantastes. A few hours later I knew that I had crossed a great frontier…Nothing was at the that time further from my thoughts than Christianity…I was only aware that if this new world was strange, it was also homely and humble; that if this was a dream, it was a dream in which one at least felt strangely vigilant; that the whole book had about it a sort of cool, morning innocence…”

 

What frontiers have you crossed?

 

There are those who travel the world on planes and cruise ships and trains, yet who never go anywhere, who never cross a frontier. Then there are those who may go no further than their feet or local transportation can take them, and yet who cross frontier after frontier and who have seen and experienced more than they could possibly tell.

 

Vickie, my brother Jim, and I were once on the windswept Zugspitze in Germany. There was a catwalk that connected Germany and Austria that Jim and I walked across so that we could say that we’d crossed the frontier into Austria. Alas, there was no boarder agent to stamp our passports, indeed, due to weather conditions there were no other people on the Austrian side of the catwalk, so after a few minutes we returned to Germany and Vickie and hot chocolate.

 

Can I truly say that I’ve seen Austria? Have I experienced Austria?

 

Not only was the wind strong and the cold bitter, but fog enveloped the Zugspitze and visibility was poor, so we saw virtually nothing of Austria.

 

If I’m in a conversation with others and the subject of travel arises, can I truly say that I’ve been to Austria – without qualifying what I mean?

 

Might it not be that we treat evangelism like the catwalk between Germany and Austria? Just get the people over the catwalk and you’ve done your job, get them to say, “I’ve been to Austria, now I’m Austrian! One day I’ll make it to the Vienna Opera House, one day I’ll enjoy an Austrian coffee shop, one day I’ll visit the Trapp Family home – in the meantime, even though I am going back to Germany after just a minute or two, I am most certainly and gloriously – fog or no fog - Austrian!”

 

How quickly we forget the Parable of the Sower, the seed sprouts, the words are said (no matter what the heart believes), and the deal is done…or so we think. Whether the frontier has been truly crossed is no matter to us, we must move on – it is enough that the catwalk has been crossed, the fact that it is shortly recrossed is not our concern.

 

While I cannot find the quote at hand, in Mere Christianity Lewis writes of passengers taking a train from Paris to Berlin (I’m relying on fading memory). As the train crosses the France – Germany frontier, some passengers are awake and aware of the crossing, others are asleep and unaware that they’ve crossed from France to Germany. Whether one is awake or asleep has no bearing on the reality of the crossing – a frontier has been crossed.

 

In the case of Lewis and Phantastes, Lewis knew a frontier had been crossed, taking him into a new land, indeed a new world that was strange, homely, and humble. He didn’t know what it meant, he had no thought of Christianity, but he knew something had happened.

 

Lewis also sensed that the purchase of Phantastes was almost unwilling – there was something moving him to make the purchase, even though he’d passed the book up on previous occasions.

 

There is a chapter in Surprised by Joy titled Check. The penultimate chapter is titled Checkmate. In Checkmate Lewis writes:

 

“You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had a last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed, perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England.”

 

The chapter concludes with these words, “The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.”

 

The “Other” which compelled Lewis to purchase and read Phantastes would not leave him alone, just as He would not leave Saul of Tarsus alone. “It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” (Acts 26:14).

 

How is it that our view of apologetics and evangelism focuses so much on rationalistic  evidence and obtaining decisions, rather than on the Person of Jesus Christ and working in harmony with the Holy Spirit…helping others to cross that most vital frontier? How is it that on the one hand we affirm the sovereignty of God, and yet on the other hand tend to take control of evangelism, often herding others the way Border Collies herd sheep into an enclosure? Why do we tend not to respect the process of the Holy Spirit?  

 

And let’s make no mistake, contrary to what many of us have been taught, Jesus is no “gentleman” quietly waiting for us to ask Him to dance, He is pursuing us with love and passion, and He intends to checkmate us. In the chapter Checkmate Lewis lays out the final moves of his match with God.

 

Checkmate, however, is not the final chapter in Surprised by Joy, the final chapter is the first chapter in that it is titled The Beginning. This is akin to the final chapter in the Narniad; while it is titled Farewell to Shadowlands, it might also be titled Welcome to Narnia!

 

“But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.” This is how the Narniad ends, and yet this is how it begins, for is not our Lord Jesus the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End – the Telos?

 

Lewis records his crossing of yet another frontier in the chapter The Beginning, “To accept the Incarnation was a further step in the same direction. It brings God nearer, or near in a new way. And this, I found, was something I had not wanted. But to recognize the ground for my evasion was of course to recognize both its shame and its futility.

 

“I know very well when, but hardly how, the final step was taken. I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did. Yet I had not exactly spent the journey in thought. Nor in great emotion. “Emotional” is perhaps the last word we can apply to some of the most important events. It was more like when a man, after long sleep, still lying motionless in bed, becomes aware that he is now awake.”  

 

Whether through a wardrobe, or with Ransom in a space capsule, or touching the numinous in The Problem of Pain, or with Orual and Psyche, or as a tour guide in George MacDonald – An Anthology, Lewis crosses frontier after frontier, and in doing so does more than take a catwalk from Germany to Austria, he does more than take a trip around the world…he moves into the depths of Jesus Christ, going “further up and further in”.

 

O dear friends, our dear Lord Jesus is calling us to know His incredible love and grace and friendship, to know His joy.

 

“Then Aslan turned to them and said, “You do not yet look so happy as I mean you to be.” (The Last Battle, page 766, one volume edition).

No comments:

Post a Comment