Good morning
dear ones,
Below is a note
I wrote to a friend recently, perhaps there is something here for you.
Much love,
Bob
Good morning Friend,
I am reminded of
the father who cried to Jesus, “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief!” I have
cried this many times and imagine I will do so many more times. What else can
we do?
Faith is
enigmatic, at least to me. A labyrinth? If we see the labyrinth in Jesus this
is not so bad, for even our apparent dead ends are designed to transform us
into His image.
Is He not our Good
Shepherd? Can we not trust Him? Is this life not a pilgrimage and prelude to
our glorious destiny?
Is not He, our
dear Lord Jesus who gave His all for us, what matters? Then others? Lastly
ourselves?
Could it be that
you are already where you desire to be?
I have no doubt
that you are in our Father’s House, for only those in His House and Family have
the desires, the doubts, the regrets, and despair that you have.
As I said, faith
is enigmatic. What can we do but allow the very faith of Jesus Christ to live
within us and through us? He is the Vine and we are the branches and as His
life flows through us, so His very own faith flows through us. This is why when
I read Galatians 2:20 I read it as the dear KJV translators have it, “by the
faith of the Son of God.”
As Jesus lives by
the Father, so we live by Jesus…yes?
O dear friend, I
have many regrets in my life…so very many. Sometimes I look back and think,
“How could this be? How could you have done this, thought this, said this?”
Then I am consumed by guilt and shame and remorse. It seems the closer I get to
eternity the more I see these things. What to do? What can I do but trust
Jesus?
And isn’t that
what this all comes down to, trusting Jesus? Trusting Jesus no matter how I
feel, or how I perform, or how deeply (or not) I understand a matter?
When I draw my
final breath in this life, what can I do other than trust Jesus?
As I have said
before, on my best days my Father needs to change my nappy; may God never let
me lose sight of this truth.
One of the reasons
I so look forward to crossing that river between this life and the next, is
that my memory will be purged of toxicity, of poison, of regret and remorse, of
things which I can’t bear to think of. I don’t say that this ought to be anyone
else’s journey, I simply say to you that this is my journey.
Is my faith so
weak that I cannot embrace the totality of God’s forgiveness, that I cannot
bask in the cleansing of the blood of the Lamb? Again, this is enigmatic to me.
Yes, I do bask in the blood of the Lamb, claim it, proclaim it, rejoice in it. But
this is, for me, a journey, a process, a climb up Zion’s mountain – perhaps I
need to train myself not to look back, not to look down. Ha!
I climb with a
limp. I say to Jesus, “Lord, where else can I go? You have the words of eternal
life.”
What some may see
as my faith, I see as my desperation – for indeed, where else can I go? Where
can anyone go?
When Jesus says
that we can’t change our hair or height by thinking, He means it. We are so
foolish, are we not; to think we are in control…so foolish to think we are in
the driver’s seat. So foolish to think we can add a day, an hour, a moment to
our lives.
So realizing that
I must trust Him is, for me, less a matter of faith than a matter of simple
reality – if this is faith, well and good, all I know is that this is the
essence of life.
Tom ____ once said
to me, “You have a simple faith.” He meant it as a compliment, and I’ll receive
that testimony.
O dear friend,
what matters to me is less about how I feel than whether others are coming to
know Jesus. I have eternity ahead of me in which I will no doubt feel pretty
good, but between now and then I need to follow Jesus and share Him with
others. We are on a battlefield fighting for the souls of mankind, I don’t want
my feelings to be a distraction…and I know they can be…they have in the past,
they may be again…but I must live in the Cross of Christ and allow the Cross to
live in and through me.
As Bonhoeffer
wrote, “When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die.”
I have a friend in
Amelia County who is a flight instructor. He teaches his students to fly by
instrumentation, not to look outside the cockpit. He has a hood that he places
on students so that they cannot see outside the plane, all they can see is the
instrument panel. If they fly by sight in bad weather they may die, suffering
from spatial disorientation.
The students may
not “feel” great as they learn to fly by instrumentation, but they and their
passengers will live. Neither you nor I really want to be passengers on a plane
with a pilot flying by his feelings.
I can be a very
emotional person. I have a tambourine which I’ve played in many a worship
gathering. I can shout, I can run down a church aisle (which I have, even in
our Congregational church!), I have danced in worship gatherings…but I know
that I must fly by instrumentation…for the fair weather can quicky change…and
for the glory of God and the salvation of others I must keep my eyes on Jesus,
always on Jesus.
We can’t go back,
at least I don’t think so. O I suppose we can go back in terms of obedience
(but even there I’m not sure, hopefully we are wiser and more faithful), but in
terms of feelings…well…we do change don’t we? We age, we mature, we bruise, we
break bones, we have our hips knocked out of joint…we are no longer children,
we are no longer young, we are no longer middle aged.
Yet,
this can be the sweetest time of life in many ways, not the least of which is
sharing the grace of our Lord Jesus with others…and living in anticipation of
that great Day which is nearer to us today than it was yesterday…we are ever
closer to that City whose Builder and Maker is God.
What
shall we say to these things?
If
God is for us, who can be against us?
Much
love dear friend,
Bob
No comments:
Post a Comment