The invitation –
introduction
Yesterday, September 11, 2026, I awoke
about 4:00 A.M. thinking of 25 years ago. While I am always aware of a 9/11
anniversary, this year it was especially poignant, perhaps because it has been 25
years, perhaps because the chaos continues; domestically, internationally and
within the professing church. Indeed, the chaos appears exponential, faster than
a human can process, faster than humanity can process.
As a rule Vickie and I cannot handle
watching retrospectives on 9/11, they are too sorrowful, too tragic…how many
times have we all relived them? How many times can we watch the videos and hear
the voices?
The one retrospective that we did watch was
the story of Steve Scheibner, the American Airlines pilot who was scheduled to
fly the first hijacked plane, but who was bumped from the flight by another
pilot who had seniority. You can find his story on YouTube, “In my Seat.” His wife also wrote a book with that title.
The evening of 9/11 our church hosted a
community time of prayer and reflection, and since we were the only church in
our Massachusetts township, the sanctuary was filled. I knew, as pastor, that I
needed to provide comfort in Christ, hope in Christ, and to keep our eyes
focused on Jesus Christ. As many of you who are reading this know, if you didn’t
live through that day you can no more adequately describe it, capture it, for
others, than our parents (of my generation) could describe their experience of December
7.
A few days after 9/11 what was known as The
Berkshire Revival occurred. This was an annual multi-day meeting of churches
from various traditions in the Berkshires, to worship Jesus, encourage one
another, and witness to our regional community. Each evening a different pastor
would preach, and a different church would provide music and lead singing. In
2001 the Dalton United Methodist Church, with is large sanctuary, hosted the
event.
There was absolute unanimity among the
pastors that we were going to focus on Jesus Christ, and worship Him and Him
alone. For sure there was pressure by some in the community to focus on issues
and movements other than Jesus, but we affirmed one another in our calling to serve
Jesus and only Jesus; we would lead our collective flocks to the Christ of the
Cross. I still recall witnessing an attendee verbally attacking a pastor after
his evening message because the pastor spoke of overcoming evil with good
(Romans 12:21; Matthew 5:43 – 48), and saying, “I’m glad you’re not my pastor!”
Well, it was a challenging time and today is
no less challenging. If Jesus isn’t our focus, our heart’s desire, our One True
Love, our Compass; then we are like weathervanes at the mercy of the winds. You
can’t navigate using a weathervane, or at least you shouldn’t.
Yesterday I was wondering what I preached
in the aftermath of 9/11, 25 years ago. What follows in the next post is my message during the
Berkshire Revival, on September 21, 2001.
Much love,
Bob
No comments:
Post a Comment